First introduced in 1938, the Reference 570 was essentially an oversized Ref. 96, the original Calatrava launched in 1932. This was the first model introduced by the brothers Jean and Charles-Henri Stern, who purchased a controlling interest in the company that same year.
Although in high-demand, Patek recognised that the 31mm case size, was a weaker selling-point of the Reference 96’s design, and so increased this to 35.5mm in 1938, changing the name to the Ref. 570. Initially available with small seconds at 6 o’clock on the dial, a sweeping centre seconds variant soon followed. Offered mainly in precious metals, the Reference 570 was available in yellow, pink and white gold, platinum, and very rarely, in stainless steel.
The Calatrava takes its name from the ornate Calatrava cross, first used on the marching banners of the knights who defended the city of Calatrava (Nuova Castiglia) in 1158. Although the name and Calatrava cross were registered as a trademark on April 27th, 1887, it only started to appear more regularly on the crowns and movements of Patek Philippe watches from the 1960s onwards.
Patek Philippe watch aesthetics, often inspired by the Bauhaus principle that form should follow function, shaped the minimalist design created by David Penney for the Ref. 96. In keeping with this, the dial is clean and understated, featuring ‘Patek Philippe’ and ‘Geneve’ at 12 o’clock. The polished, rose-gold Dauphine hands correspond harmoniously with the dial, and compliment perfectly the faceted hour markers, also made in rose-gold. Around the outer edge, a rarely seen minute-track configuration is found.
The 35.5mm case has a elegant, flat bezel that is so identifiable to the Calatrava series, and wears comfortably on the wrist. The watch has its original crown with raised Calatrava cross and polished case-back, correctly hallmarked inside. The inside-case features the watch's unique reference number (307 XXX), as well as the manufacturer’s signature.
Powered by a manually-wound calibre 27SC (signed “Patek Philippe & Co.“), the movement is nickel-plated with Côtes de Genève embellishment and held in place by a large movement screw. This highly-finished twenty-jewel movement was developed and assembled by the famous Geneva watchmaker, Victorin Piguet.
This Patek Philippe Reference 570R-SCI comes on a brown alligator leather strap and corresponding rose-gold, tang buckle, signed by the brand.
Viewings can be arranged in Central London by appointment.